The main malfunctions of garage doors
A garage is a place where not only a car is kept, but various things are also stored. The safety of various material properties depends on how reliable metal garage doors are.
Despite the simplicity of the design, sometimes it may require repairs. Garage door owners usually face the following problems:
- deformation of the hinges;
- sagging leaves;
- jamming of the locking mechanism;
- local corrosion.
If the scale of the problem is not great, then you can repair garage doors yourself. This will require the appropriate tools, materials, and metal working skills.
How to repair garage doors with your own hands? Consider the reasons for troubleshooting common garage door problems.
- Deformation of the hinge pin. A defect occurs when the loop is small for a given blade. Solution: cut off all loops and replace them with reinforced counterparts. How to weld garage door hinges? For work, you need a grinder and a welding machine;
- Sash displacement. Sagging of the sashes is caused by bending of the loop pin or deformation of the frame. In the second option, the repair of the steel sheet can be a serious problem. First, you need to remove the sash and straighten the frame, reinforcing it with stiffeners. Then you should align the frame, returning the correct shape;
- Lock jam. The malfunction is a consequence of the problems described above and is expressed in the fact that the ledgers are displaced relative to the mating holes. Another option is a defect in the locking mechanism. In this case, replacing it is sufficient;
- Rust on the iron sheet. The reason is poor-quality painting. When corrosion is at its initial stage, clean the metal with an electric grinder, prime, and repaint the surface completely. If the blade is rusted through, you will have to cut out some of the metal and weld it on a new plate.
Diagnostics is a necessary step before starting repairs
The scope and nature of repair work always depend on the nature of the damage. The foreman of our company will diagnose malfunctions that require elimination. It will be checked:
- is it necessary to completely replace the door leaf or straightening a separate section
- does the leaf gets stuck during movement, and what interferes with the free movement of the gate leaf
- is there a skew or sagging of the gate leaves, and how to eliminate the problem in an optimal way
- in what state the rollers are jammed when driving, whether replacement
- is required - what is the state of the torsion springs, and is there a need to adjust or replace them
Possible malfunctions eliminated during the repair process
During the repair of garage doors, our masters will eliminate any types of faults found:
- misalignment or jamming of the gate
- tight movement of the leaf or leaves
- extraneous noise during the gate movement, indicating wear or contamination of the moving parts of the gate mechanism
- cable breaks (including replacement of household cables installed on industrial doors )
- deformation of guides and other assemblies
A common problem is a damage to the door leaf due to a car hit. The volume of the required repair will be estimated by the master; depending on the situation, it may be necessary to completely replace the leaf, replace the section of the sectional door or straighten the damaged area.
Garage Door Openers
How to program a garage door opener for cars
The vehicles are equipped with a HomeLink device that allows you to program vehicle transmitters, garage door openers, lights, and even home security systems. The most popular vehicle application for this device is to replace a garage door opener. Programming your vehicles to open the garage door will provide you with a convenient and quick entrance to your home. HomeLink in vehicles is compatible with most garage door openers.
Non-Rolling Code Garage Door Opener
Hold your garage door opener 1 to 3 inches from the HomeLink interface on your rearview mirror. Press and hold the garage door opener button and the HomeLink button that you want to program to open the garage door simultaneously. After holding these buttons for about 20 seconds, the HomeLink indicator - the red indicator on the rearview mirror - will change from a slow flash to a fast flash. As soon as the HomeLink light starts flashing quickly, release the garage door opener and HomeLink button. Try to open the garage door with the programmed HomeLink button; if it does not open the garage door, repeat the entire programming process.
Rolling Code Garage Door Opener
Find the "learn" button on the garage door opener. If you are not sure where this button is located, refer to your garage door opener manual. Have an assistant press release the Learn button on the garage door opener, then immediately press and release the HomeLink button you want to program to open the garage door opener three times to program HomeLink to the garage door opener roll code. If the garage door does not activate after the HomeLink button's third press, restart the programming process.
How to Program a 2002 Grand Cherokee Jeep Garage Door Opener
Switch off the vehicle engine and press and hold buttons 1 and 3 on the Jeep's transmitter for 20 seconds to erase the previous codes. Release them when the message “Channels cleared” appears on display.
Keep the remote control 1 to 3 inches from the Jeep's transmitter.
Press and hold the open button on the handheld remote control and at the same time press the button you want to program on the Jeep's transmitter. For example, if you want button 2 to open the garage door, press button 2 while pressing the open button on the remote control.
Release the button as soon as you hear a beep and the display will show Learned.
Press the smart button on your garage door motor. This button is usually located on the engine's back or side next to the antenna wire and light lens.
Return to your car and press and hold the programmed button in your jeep for 2 seconds. Release and press and hold the button for another 2 seconds to complete the programming sequence. You will now be able to use the vehicle's transmitter to open the garage door.
How to Program a Chevy Tahoe Garage Door Opener
Stop the car engine. The HomeLink feature for the Chevy Tahoe cannot be programmed while the vehicle is in motion.
Press and hold the two outer buttons on the HomeLink device. The lights on the device will flash red quickly. This will erase the previous programming.
Release the buttons when it quickly blinks red. Select the HomeLink button you want to link to your garage door.
Keep your garage door about 2 inches away from the HomeLink buttons. Make sure you can still see the indicator lights on your HomeLink device.
Press the garage remote control button and the selected HomeLink button at the same time. Hold both buttons until the LED starts flashing red quickly. Release both buttons as soon as fast flashing occurs. Test your Chevy Tahoe HomeLink to ensure programming is successful.